Britain: Last News

Monkeypox: UK Health Security Agency issues fresh advice ahead of cases announcement

The UK Health Security Agency (UKHSA) has issued new advice on the Monkeypox outbreak as it prepares to announce more cases of the virus on Monday (May 23).

Anyone who has been in close contact with someone suffering from virus is now being asked to self-isolate for 21 days. The advice applies to people who have had “unprotected direct contact or high-risk environmental contact”, the agency said.

This isolation period includes no travel, providing details for contact tracing and avoiding direct contact with immunosuppressed people, pregnant women and children under 12. Those who are considered at high risk of having caught monkeypox may have had household contact, sexual contact, or have changed an infected person’s bedding without wearing appropriate PPE.

There have been 20 cases in the UK confirmed so far, according to UKHSA. Dr Susan Hopkins, chief medical adviser for UKHSA, has said the virus is spreading through community transmission. The disease, first discovered in monkeys, can be transmitted from person to person through close physical contact, including sexual intercourse, and is caused by the monkeypox virus.

Dr Hopkins said that cases are predominantly being identified in individuals who self-identify as gay or bisexual or men who have sex with other men. “We will be releasing updated numbers tomorrow – over-the-weekend figures," she told BBC One's Sunday Morning. “We are detecting more cases on a daily basis and I’d like to thank all of those people who are coming forward for testing to sexual health clinics, to the GPs and emergency department.”

When asked whether community transmission has been seen in the UK, Dr Hopkins responded: “Absolutely, we are finding cases that have no identified contact with an

virus vaccine Health

Susan Hopkins

Related News

Doug Ford - Housing affordability in Ontario has eroded faster than any province amid COVID-19: report - globalnews.ca - Britain - Canada - county Ontario - city Columbia, Britain
globalnews.ca
90%
160
Housing affordability in Ontario has eroded faster than any province amid COVID-19: report
Housing affordability in Ontario has eroded at a rate not seen in half a century over the course of the COVID-19 pandemic, a new report suggests, while home prices skyrocketed by 44 per cent across Doug Ford’s premiership.The new report by Generation Squeeze found that with current home prices, a new homebuyer would have to work full-time for nearly 22 years to save up enough money for a 20 per cent down payment on a home — up from 15 years in late 2019.“Ontario has just completely lost control of housing,” said Paul Kershaw, an associate professor at the University of British Columbia and the founder of Generation Squeeze, which studies housing affordability and standard of living across Canada.“We’ve never seen anything like this before in any province at any time in the last 50 years.” ‘I’ll never be able to afford property’: Housing costs key issue for Ontario voters The report, citing Canadian Real Estate Association data, found the average price for a home in Ontario rose to $871,688 by 2021, up 44 per cent from the inflation-adjusted price in 2018 — the year Ford was sworn in as premier.Meanwhile, wages have stagnated, particularly for the typical 25-to-34-year-old, which the report argues has led to “lost work” for those trying to save for a down payment.Over the first two years of the pandemic, Kershaw says those young Ontario residents have lost the value of six years of work that would otherwise be put toward home ownership.
UK Eurovision entrants now - £21m net worth, BGT affair, career U-turn and health scare - dailystar.co.uk - Spain - Britain - Australia
dailystar.co.uk
72%
699
UK Eurovision entrants now - £21m net worth, BGT affair, career U-turn and health scare
Eurovision Song Contest - but have you ever wondered what happened to some of the contestants after the shows aired?Some contestants have risen to new levels of fame in soaps including EastEnders, while others have stepped away from music all-together and embarked on completely different careers.While we may all remember some of the biggest winners on the night, including Bucks Fizz and Katrina And The Waves, many famous faces have also represented the UK in decades gone by.Ahead of the Eurovision Song Contest on Saturday May 14, 2022, Daily Star takes a look at where some of the previous UK Eurovision contestants are now.Pop icon and British treasure Cliff Richard OBE has entered Eurovision, not once, but twice - narrowly missing out on winning the 1968 Song Contest by just one point.His classic song Congratulations was pipped to the post by Spain's La La La by Massiel, but five years later, Cliff returned with Power To All Our Friends - finishing third in the Eurovision Song Contest 1973.One of Eurovision's most successful entrants and biggest songwriters of all time, Cliff has released iconic hits including Move It, The Young Ones and Devil Woman, as well as becoming known as the King of Christmas - landing over five Christmas number ones in total including Mistletoe and Wine - so it is no surprise that he has an estimated net worth of over £70million.Although Cliff has never married or had children, it is reported that he dated Australian dancer Delia Wicks and tennis star Sue Barker in the past.Now 81 years old, he recently embarked on an 80th birthday tour, and was awarded an Order Of The British Empire (OBE in 1995), with the Cliff Richard News Twitter feed recently reporting that the star will be taking to an
DMCA