Maithripala Sirisena Hemasiri Fernando Nilantha Jayawardena Sri Lanka state Former president information reports Maithripala Sirisena Hemasiri Fernando Nilantha Jayawardena Sri Lanka state Former

Key findings on Supreme Court ruling on Easter Attacks against Sirisena, Pujith & Co.

Reading now: 614
www.newsfirst.lk

COLOMBO (News 1st) – Sri Lanka's Supreme Court on Thursday (12) found Former President Maithripala Sirisena, his Defence Secretary, the Police Chief during his time, as well as the then Chief of National Intelligence, and Director of State Intelligence guilty of violating fundamental right.11 Fundamental Rights petitions were filed with the Supreme Court, claiming that the Sri Lankan administration failed to prevent the 2019 Easter Sunday Attacks, despite having information about an imminent attack.The applications contain revelations of reckless failure on the part of the Executive Branch of the government and the Petitioners allege that these illegal omissions effectively betray the people and public trust by recklessly failing to take cognizance and accord due priority to intelligence information received regarding the premeditation of the attacks which could have been prevented if proactive and timely response had been taken.The respondents named in the petitions are Former President Maithripala Sirisena, Former Defence Secretary Hemasiri Fernando, Former Police Chief Pujith Jayasundara, Former National Intelligence Service Chief Sisira Mendis, and Former State Intelligence Services Chief Nilantha Jayawardena.Maithripala Sirisena:The Supreme Court observed that multiple gazettes bestowed 23 duties on the President as a Minister of Defence, thus an increase of duties vested in the Minister.The Supreme Court observed that an exponential range of powers over security continued to be bestowed on Minister of Defence as the years rolled by and it cannot be gainsaid that the Minister of Defence was the repository of the national security of the country.

Read more on newsfirst.lk
The website covid-19.rehab is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News

Paddy farmers helpless as rice plants turn yellow - newsfirst.lk - Sri Lanka
newsfirst.lk
53%
775
Paddy farmers helpless as rice plants turn yellow
COLOMBO (News 1st) – Sri Lankan rice farmers who feed the nation are in a situation where they cannot even afford their own meals.This can be attributed to the diseases that is turning rice plants yellow, which is spreading across a plethora of paddy lands in the country.Farmers from Henkola Wewa that falls under the Mahasen Bedum Ela Agrarian Organization in Polonnaruwa commenced the Maha Season cultivation with high hopes.However, their dreams of a rich harvest were shattered by the disease that is turning rice plants to yellow.Farmers claim that around 800 acres of rice fields have been affected, leaving the farmers at a massive loss.Farmers also said that they immediately informed the authorities when they noticed the disease in the initial stages, however, the relevant officials turned a blind eye to the issue.In addition, over 100 acres of rice fields in the Weligepola area in Ratnapura have also been affected  by the disease that is turning rice plants to yellow.Another 6,000 acres of paddy land in the Rajanganaya Agrarian Settlement have been destroyed by the same disease.The same fate had befallen many other rice cultivations across the country.The Rice Research and Development Institute (RRDI) in Bathalagoda said that tests have revealed that organic fertilizer was NOT a cause for rice plants to turn yellow.Director of the Rice Research and Development Institute (RRDI) Dr. Jayantha Senanayake told News 1st that the samples obtained from paddy lands and organic fertilizer samples obtained from the possession of farmers, are being subject to tests.He added that remedies are available to address the situation.
Millennium City Scandal: Court rejects request to release defendant - newsfirst.lk
newsfirst.lk
48%
966
Millennium City Scandal: Court rejects request to release defendant
COLOMBO (News 1st) – Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendige rejected a request to acquit and release former ASP Kulasiri Udugampola, a defendant in the case filed over the raids carried out at military intelligence safe houses including the Millennium City safe house.Counsel made the request to acquit and release the defendant without calling for evidence.The case was filed over the raids carried out at military intelligence safe houses between 1st of January 2002 and 3rd of September 2002 in Colombo, Athurugiriya, Kandy and Kadugannawa, seizing their military equipment and taking photographs and videos of the said equipment.In addition, the case was filed for arresting Military Intelligence personnel and exposing military secrets.The Colombo High Court Judge Aditya Patabendige issuing the order on the request made by the counsel appearing for the Former ASP noted that the court has decided to continue with the case by calling for evidence from the defense based on the evidence produced to the court by the prosecution.The Colombo High Court Judge ordered for the case to be called up again on the 21st of February for the evidence from the defense, and ordered for the evidence list to be produced to the court ahead of that date.Deputy Solicitor General Sudarshana De Silva appearing for the Attorney General had requested the court to reject a request to acquit and release former ASP Kulasiri Udugampola, without calling for evidence from the defense.
Maithripala Sirisena - Easter Sunday - Sri Lanka must compensate Easter attacks victims, and set up independent inquiry – UN - newsfirst.lk - Sri Lanka
newsfirst.lk
55%
404
Sri Lanka must compensate Easter attacks victims, and set up independent inquiry – UN
COLOMBO (News 1st) – The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights (OHCHR) said that Sri Lanka must fully compensate victims of the Easter Sunday 2019 terrorist attacks.Sri Lanka's Supreme Court on Thursday (12) found Former President Maithripala Sirisena, his Defence Secretary, the Police Chief during his time, as well as the then Chief of National Intelligence, and Director of State Intelligence guilty of violating fundamental rights.11 Fundamental Rights petitions were filed with the Supreme Court, claiming that the Sri Lankan administration failed to prevent the 2019 Easter Sunday Attacks, despite having information about an imminent attack.More than 270 people were killed in the series of explosions at churches and hotels across the island nation. The Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights urged Sri Lanka to provide full reparations to the victims, including to establish the truth and to ensure justice. “Whilst no amount of compensation can ever erase the suffering and pain of the victims and families, this judgment marks a step in the victims’ struggle for recognition of the harm suffered and their rights to truth, justice and reparation,” said Spokesperson Jeremy Laurence, according to the Office of the United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights.“In its judgment, the Court expressed ‘shock and dismay’ at the lack of ‘oversight and inaction’ by the security and intelligence officials – ruling that the former President and his top security officials had failed to prevent the attacks, despite detailed intelligence suggesting such attacks were imminent,” said Laurence. The UN human rights office called on the Sri Lankan Government to ensure that victims receive
DMCA