South Korea Usa Waves Hyundai Highways South Korea Usa

Hyundais and Kias stolen nearly twice as often as other vehicles, national study finds

Reading now: 405
www.fox29.com

FILE - Kia Motors Corp. vehicles bound for export await shipment as the Hyundai Glovis Co. roll-on/roll-off vehicles carrier cargo ship sits docked at the port of Pyeongtaek on Jan 24, 2018, in Pyeongtaek, South Korea. (Photo by Seung-il Ryu/NurPhoto A wave of Hyundai and Kia thefts over the past year driven by social media has made headlines across the country, and a new report suggests it hasn't been exaggerated.Several models from the related brands built from 2011 to 2021 did not have immobilizers to prevent them from being started without a key present.Criminals discovered that 2011 to 2021 Kias and 2015 to 2021 Hyundais equipped with ignitions that use a physical key, rather than a wireless key fob and push-button, could be started by using the tip of a USB cable, and the technique was posted online last year.Tens of thousands of cars have been stolen since, some of them by teens not even old enough to have a driver's license.THIS PICKUP TRUCK WAS THE MOST-STOLEN VEHICLE OF 2021A new analysis by the Insurance Institute for Highway Safety's Highway Loss Data Institute (HLDI) found that the theft claim frequency was more than 80% higher for 2015-2019 model-year Kias and Hyundais combined than the average of all other brands.According to the HLDI, 96% of the vehicles sold in 2015 by other automakers had immobilizers, up from 62% in 2000, but only 26% of Kias and Hyundais did."Our earlier studies show that vehicle theft losses plunged after immobilizers were introduced," HLDI Senior Vice President Matt Moore said."Unfortunately, Hyundai and Kia have lagged behind other automakers in making them standard equipment."US TRAFFIC DEATHS DOWN BUT REMAIN AT ‘CRISIS LEVEL’Hyundai on Oct.

Read more on fox29.com
The website covid-19.rehab is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News

Female-headed homes hard hit by acute food insecurity in Sri Lanka - newsfirst.lk - Usa - Sri Lanka - Britain - Eu
newsfirst.lk
64%
851
Female-headed homes hard hit by acute food insecurity in Sri Lanka
COLOMBO (News 1st) – Asia’s highest inflation rates and ongoing fuel scarcity continue to threaten food security in Sri Lanka. Sri Lanka continues to experience an unprecedented economic crisis with high inflation, rising commodity prices, power shortages and scarcity of fuel.The World Food Program said that Asia’s highest inflation rates and ongoing fuel scarcity continue to threaten food security in Sri Lanka. According to the World Food Programme (WFP), an estimated 6.2 million people in Sri Lanka are facing moderate to severe acute food insecurity, with one in every four households applying negative coping strategies such as reducing the number of meals per day, reducing expenses on other essential things such as healthcare or withdrawing children from school. Female-headed households are seen to be particularly hard it, as are the urban poor and people working in the estate-sector.The United Nations Office for the Coordination of Humanitarian Affairs said that given the deteriorating food security and nutrition situation in Sri Lanka and the strong likelihood that the upcoming Maha season will not produce sufficient yields, several countries have pledged further assistance, especially towards improving food security and the critical inputs for the agriculture sector. The United States Agency for International Development (USAID) announced an additional US$20 million in humanitarian assistance, bringing USAID’s total assistance to nearly US$92 million since June of this year. The United Kingdom pledged £3 million in lifesaving support going mostly toward food security and supporting farmers, while the EU released €1.5 million in humanitarian aid which will mainly be utilized for multipurpose cash assistance.The final
Hackers release LAUSD data after ransom denied - fox29.com - Los Angeles - city Los Angeles
fox29.com
73%
589
Hackers release LAUSD data after ransom denied
Los Angeles Unified School District, officials confirmed Sunday.The data was released Saturday -- two days before a deadline previously given by the hackers -- in an apparent response to LAUSD Superintendent Alberto Carvalho's stated refusal to pay ransom to an international hacking syndicate, the Los Angeles Times reported.The newspaper said it reviewed screenshots from the hack that appeared to show some Social Security numbers, but the full extent of the release was not clear.District spokeswoman Shannon Haber would not confirm the release when reached by City News Service on Sunday.The group claiming responsibility for the cyberattack had set a Monday deadline for the district to pay a ransom to the organization.In a dark web post detected and reprinted by Brett Callow of the cybersecurity firm Emsisoft, the hacking syndicate Vice Society listed the LAUSD as one of "our partners," and stated, "The papers will be published by London time on October 4, 2022 at 12:00 a.m."The post did not give any indication about what information had been obtained or what would be published.Carvalho previously acknowledged that the district received a ransom demand from the group responsible for the Labor Day weekend hack -- which he declined to name."We can acknowledge ... that there has been communication from this actor (hacker) and we have been responsive without engaging in any type of negotiations," he told reporters.
DMCA