covid-19 recommendations vaccine

FDA advisers OK COVID-19 vaccines for youngest kids

Reading now: 477
www.cidrap.umn.edu

In a step eagerly anticipated by families who want an extra tool to protect babies and young children, the Food and Drug Administration (FDA) vaccine advisory group today unanimously approved emergency use of Moderna and Pfizer-BioNTech vaccines for babies and young children.Though the FDA still needs to sign off on the approval and the decision then awaits formal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) recommendation, today's decision puts the nation on the cusp of universal vaccination against COVID-19, similar to that for influenza.In global developments, the World Health Organization (WHO) in its weekly update on the pandemic today said cases continued to drop last week, though three regions reported rises.A complex task weighing 2 vaccinesAt today's meeting of the FDA's Vaccines and Related Biological Products Advisory Committee (VRBAC), the group was tasked with evaluating the data for two vaccines with two different profiles, one given in three doses and the other in two.The road to today's deliberations was bumpy and long, partly because young children were the last group to be assessed in vaccine trials.

In February, Pfizer and BioNTech applied for emergency use authorization (EUA), then abruptly withdrew the application to gather more information on two versus three doses of the vaccine, amid doubts about the effectiveness of two doses in children 2 to 5 years old.In May, Pfizer and BioNTech announced that they found strong efficacy with a three-dose regimen and they continued seeking EUA approval.Moderna applied for its EUA in the age-group in April, using a two-dose regimen.

Read more on cidrap.umn.edu
The website covid-19.rehab is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News

The Damned cancel Glastonbury 2022 set following positive COVID-19 tests - nme.com - Germany - Britain
nme.com
70%
179
The Damned cancel Glastonbury 2022 set following positive COVID-19 tests
The Damned have been forced to cancel their Glastonbury 2022 set this weekend after a number of positive COVID-19 tests were recorded in the band’s camp.The band had been due to headline the festival’s Avalon Stage on Friday (June 24) following sets from Sugababes and Nick Mulvey.The Damned previously told their fans on Saturday (June 18) that a member of the band had tested positive, forcing the cancellation of their planned gigs on Saturday and yesterday (June 20).The latest update from the band has been issued this afternoon (June 21). “Further to our previous updates, there have been more positive COVID tests in the Damned camp and consequently we’re having to withdraw from all remaining June appearances, including Bath, Glastonbury and the Die Artze show in Germany,” they wrote on Twitter.Apologies to all the fans who were looking forward to seeing The Damned, we were looking forward to seeing you all too ! Until the next time..— The Damned (@thedamned) June 21, 2022“Apologies to all the fans who were looking forward to seeing The Damned, we were looking forward to seeing you all too! Until the next time..”The Field of Avalon team have subsequently confirmed that Reef will now headline the Avalon Stage in place of The Damned.“With massive regret, The Damned have been forced to withdraw from Glastonbury due to COVID,” organisers said in a statement.
DMCA