Male-to-male extension cords sold on Amazon.com. (U.S. Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC))The Consumer Product Safety Commission (CPSC) is warning consumers to "immediately" stop using and dispose of certain extension cords sold on Amazon because they pose several safety hazards.The male-to-male extension cords, with a three-prong plug, can shock or electrocute users, and pose fire and carbon monoxide poisoning hazards, according to the independent safety agency.
The cords were sold on Amazon under various brand names and in multiple colors and lengths. The agency could not confirm a specific number of cords that are included in the warning. GENERAC RECALLS PORTABLE GENERATORS AFTER 7 FINGER AMPUTATIONSPeople use the extension cords to back-feed electricity to a home during a power outage by connecting a generator to an outlet in the home, according to the warning notice.
The issue is that when it's plugged into a generator or outlet, the opposite end has live electricity that can pose "a risk of serious shock or electrocution," the agency continued.