hospital

Detroit neighbors say 3-year-old boy found dead in freezer was blind; family called CPS 13 times this year

Reading now: 788
www.fox29.com

DETROIT (FOX 2) - The 3-year-old boy who was found dead in a freezer in Detroit early Friday morning was blind, neighbors say, and the boy's family said Child Protective Services had been called 13 times this year.The young boy, who police have not identified but neighbors and family members confirm to FOX 2 is named Chase, was found dead in a freezer inside the family's home.Detroit Police Chief James White said the young boy had been decomposing when he was found and credited the first officers to respond for following their instinct.According to neighbors, Chase was blind and had some other disabilities, but those were not listed.Chase, 3, has been identified by family members and neighbors as the little boy found dead and decomposing inside of a family's freezer on Friday. "She (the mother) couldn't deal with it, and we all said give him to us if you can't deal with it," a relative said.Family members also told FOX 2's Jessica Dupnack that CPS had been called at least 13 times this year but each time, they were unable to make headway and were not allowed inside the home."He was the sweetest one.

He was so sweet," the relative said. White held a press conference Friday afternoon and credited the first two officers to arrive at the home for following their instinct. "The discovery would not be possible without the officers' intuition.

They recognized there was something not right in the way the occupant was communicating with them," White said.After talking with people at the home, White said they tried to turn the officers away.

Read more on fox29.com
The website covid-19.rehab is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News

Vegan Florida mother convicted of starving toddler to death with strict raw fruits, vegetables diet - fox29.com - state Florida - county Lee
fox29.com
36%
731
Vegan Florida mother convicted of starving toddler to death with strict raw fruits, vegetables diet
Sheila O'Leary is facing life in prison. (Lee County Sheriff's Office) LEE COUNTY, Fla. - A vegan mother is facing life in prison for murdering her 18-month-old child who starved to death on a strict raw fruit and vegetable diet. A Florida jury convicted Sheila O’Leary, 39, on Wednesday of first-degree murder, aggravated child abuse, aggravated manslaughter, child abuse and two counts of child neglect in the death of her son, Ezra.Ezra weighed 17 pounds – seven pounds below average – when he died in his sleep in 2019.Following Ezra’s death, Sheila and her husband, Ryan, told authorities that the family followed a strict vegan diet limited to "only raw fruits and vegetables" and "breast milk," according to News Press.At the time of Ezra’s death, their three other children – all under the age of 11 – were suffering from malnutrition and dehydration. MORE NEWS: 'She was fighting the shark': Mom of Florida teen attacked by shark describes terrifying ordealO’Leary told detectives that her son did not eat for a week and that he was "having trouble sleeping the night prior to his death."During the Lee County trial on Wednesday, prosecutor Francine Donnorummo, special victims unit chief at the state attorney's office, used O’Leary’s Google searches at the time Ezra’s health declined as evidence against her. Donnorummo emphasized Ezra’s condition was chronic as O’Leary failed to provide her child with food and health care, according to News Press."This was a thought-out, planned course of action," Donnorummo said.
Delaware auditor dodges felony charges, found guilty of misconduct - fox29.com - state Delaware
fox29.com
94%
173
Delaware auditor dodges felony charges, found guilty of misconduct
DOVER, Del. - A jury returned a mixed verdict Friday in the corruption trial of Delaware State Auditor Kathy McGuiness, acquitting her of felony charges but finding her guilty of three misdemeanors.McGuiness, a Democrat elected in 2018, is the first statewide elected official in Delaware to be prosecuted while in office.As state auditor, McGuiness is responsible for rooting out government fraud, waste and abuse but was indicted last year on five charges, including felony counts of theft and witness intimidation.PREVIOUS: Delaware state auditor indicted on public corruption chargesAfter deliberating for about four hours over two days, jurors acquitted McGuiness of the theft and intimidation charges. They found her guilty of the three lesser charges — conflict of interest, official misconduct and structuring a contract to avoid a procurement rule.Prosecutors argued McGuiness abused her position in hiring her daughter, structuring payments under a consulting contract to avoid accounting scrutiny, and intimidating employees who were cooperating with investigators.The defense argued McGuiness was the target of an incompetent and biased investigation spurred by complaints from disgruntled employees as she tried to make changes in her office following her predecessor’s 30-year tenure.The jury verdict followed a two-week trial that featured about two dozen witnesses and hundreds of exhibits including emails, text messages, payroll records and accounting spreadsheets.Prosecutor Mark Denney told jurors that McGuiness "used and abused" her position to hire her daughter and give her special privileges unavailable to other part-time workers.
DMCA