India state California Canada Mexico information reports Man India state California Canada Mexico

2 Canadians found dead of knife wounds in Mexico resort

Reading now: 501
globalnews.ca

Interpol — have been found dead of knife wounds in Mexico’s Caribbean coast resort of Playa del Carmen, the state prosecutor’s office said Tuesday.Prosecutors in Quintana Roo state, also home to resorts like Cancun and Tulum, said the man and the woman were found dead Monday at a hotel or condominium in the troubled resort, and a third person was reported injured.There was no immediate information on their names or hometowns. “Global Affairs Canada is aware of the death of two Canadian citizens in Mexico,” the ministry said in a statement.But prosecutors confirmed the male victim was on an Interpol wanted list for fraud charges.Playa del Carmen has been hit by several instances of violence involving foreigners, most recently in January, when two Canadians were killed at a local resort, apparently because of debts between international drug and weapons trafficking gangs.In March, police in Playa del Carmen found the bodies of four men dumped near a housing development.

The fact the bodies were left together in the shrubs beside an access road suggested a gangland-style killing.There have been a series of brazen acts of violence elsewhere along Mexico’s resort-studded Mayan Riviera coast, the crown jewel of the country’s tourism industry.In November, a shootout on the beach of Puerto Morelos, just north of Playa del Carmen, left two suspected drug dealers dead.

Authorities said some 15 gunmen were from a gang that apparently disputed control of drug sales there.In late October, farther south in the laid-back destination of Tulum, two tourists — one a California travel blogger born in India and the other German — were caught in the apparent crossfire of rival drug dealers and killed..

Read more on globalnews.ca
The website covid-19.rehab is an aggregator of news from open sources. The source is indicated at the beginning and at the end of the announcement. You can send a complaint on the news if you find it unreliable.

Related News

Delaware auditor dodges felony charges, found guilty of misconduct - fox29.com - state Delaware
fox29.com
86%
596
Delaware auditor dodges felony charges, found guilty of misconduct
DOVER, Del. - A jury returned a mixed verdict Friday in the corruption trial of Delaware State Auditor Kathy McGuiness, acquitting her of felony charges but finding her guilty of three misdemeanors.McGuiness, a Democrat elected in 2018, is the first statewide elected official in Delaware to be prosecuted while in office.As state auditor, McGuiness is responsible for rooting out government fraud, waste and abuse but was indicted last year on five charges, including felony counts of theft and witness intimidation.PREVIOUS: Delaware state auditor indicted on public corruption chargesAfter deliberating for about four hours over two days, jurors acquitted McGuiness of the theft and intimidation charges. They found her guilty of the three lesser charges — conflict of interest, official misconduct and structuring a contract to avoid a procurement rule.Prosecutors argued McGuiness abused her position in hiring her daughter, structuring payments under a consulting contract to avoid accounting scrutiny, and intimidating employees who were cooperating with investigators.The defense argued McGuiness was the target of an incompetent and biased investigation spurred by complaints from disgruntled employees as she tried to make changes in her office following her predecessor’s 30-year tenure.The jury verdict followed a two-week trial that featured about two dozen witnesses and hundreds of exhibits including emails, text messages, payroll records and accounting spreadsheets.Prosecutor Mark Denney told jurors that McGuiness "used and abused" her position to hire her daughter and give her special privileges unavailable to other part-time workers.
Greg Abbott - Trucking company says 18-wheeler with 51 dead migrants inside was 'cloned' by human smugglers - fox29.com - state Texas - city San Antonio - Mexico - county Rio Grande
fox29.com
62%
742
Trucking company says 18-wheeler with 51 dead migrants inside was 'cloned' by human smugglers
DALLAS - Newly-revealed details show how the smugglers who drove migrants into Texas likely pretended to be drivers for a legitimate company.The death toll has now climbed to 51 after dozens of migrants were found dead inside of a hot 18-wheeler near San Antonio Monday afternoon.Gov. Greg Abbott is expected to speak Wednesday afternoon about the discovery of smuggled migrants found dead in an 18-wheeler.It's unclear if he'll provide answers about how that truck got across the border and whether the migrants were in the truck prior to crossing.It turns out the smugglers may have been using a technique where the smuggling truck was masked as a legitimate freight truck.The abandoned 18-wheeler was first noticed by a city worker Monday evening when they heard a cry for help. LATEST: Death toll rises to 51 after migrants found in abandoned tractor-trailer in TexasInside, there was a horrible discovery: 51 undocumented migrants dead in what’s likely the deadliest tragedy involving migrants smuggled across the border from Mexico.The driver of the truck and two others were arrested, according to Congressman Henry Cuellar, who represents the area.Texas Department of Transportation numbers emblazoned on the side of the truck link it to a small company in the Rio Grande Valley.
DMCA